After writing a blog series for 16 straight days, I planned on taking a few days … maybe even a couple of weeks off … from writing. And I definitely was looking forward to sleeping in this morning. Alas, with my early morning wake-up call I sense that God has different plans. Today’s post is simply an introduction for the one or more to follow … it is intended to stir your thoughts and mine.
Let’s begin with the United States Declaration of Independence …
“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”
Before we continue, let me make a point. Despite what the words above say, they are not Scripture … they are not the words of God … nor are these that follow … the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. They are the words of men.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
As Christians in the U.S. today we find ourselves in the midst of culture wars and differing worldviews, where from a societal and world viewpoint, our religious liberties are eroding and flat-out being taken away … from a legal perspective. Far … far … far … more importantly than that, we live in a nation that is increasingly turning away from God.
What is the response of ‘Christianity’?
- The indifference of silence
- Tolerance … which in my mind is simply hate or a lack of love and concern for our fellow man’s eternal destiny
- We are offended by the absence of biblical morality … and somehow surprised that the response of evil and darkness to good and light should or even could be anything different
- We complain about ‘not getting our way’
- We fight for our religious freedom and liberties … our legal rights
- We speak out in words of judgment with a heart of vindictiveness
- And finally, out of love we speak truth in word and deed enduring what is before us
My belief … and I will confess to you now that I don’t always do a good job of living it out before God and my fellow man (In fact, if truth be known, every bullet above is somewhat reflective of ways that I have responded or currently respond … forgive me Lord!) … is that the last response is the only one that is Christian.
And for today … that’s a good point to stop and let both you and me stew a bit. Tomorrow … well, let’s just wait and see what the Lord has in store.
Prayerfully considering …