Came across this extremely loaded and insightful passage of Scripture today during my devotional reading.
For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives, so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light. Colossians 1:9-12 (NIV)
Let’s look at what others are doing on your behalf that you might live a life worthy of the Lord and please Him in EVERY way:
- Your brothers and sisters IN Christ are continually praying for you (James wrote that we are to confess to one another and pray for one another – James 5:16).
- They are asking God to fill you with the knowledge of His will through ALL the wisdom and understanding that the Holy Spirit provides (Remember that the disciples did not truly understand until the power of the Holy Spirit came upon them in Jerusalem at Pentecost – Acts 1:8)
- God the Father has qualified you to share in the inheritance of His holy people in the kingdom of light (Don’t forget: it is also God who is at work IN you both to will and work for His good pleasure – basically to live a life worthy of the Lord – Philippians 2:13)
Now let’s look at the characteristics of a life worthy of God revealed in this passage:
- Such a life pleases God in EVERY way (Remember without faith is impossible to please God – Hebrews 11:6).
- We are bearing fruit in EVERY good work (Note that the wisdom from above is full of good fruits – James 3:17. Also he who abides IN Jesus the Vine bears much fruit – John 15:5).
- We are growing IN the knowledge of God (Consider 1 Corinthians 2 regarding the revelation of the Holy Spirit and the mind of Christ).
- We are being strengthened will ALL power according to God’s glorious might (The power that works within us – Ephesians 3:14-21)
- As a result of God’s power, we have great endurance and patience (By endurance you gain eternal life – Luke 21:19 and patience is just one dimension of fruit of the Spirit – Galatians 5:22-23).
- We are giving joyful thanks to God the Father (Remember this includes giving thanks in all circumstances – 1 Thessalonians 5:18).
Oh Lord, help me to be a concerned brother who continually prays for the needs of my brothers and sisters IN Christ!
And please work IN me Father to live a life that is both worthy of You and pleasing to You!