Monday we touched on this Scripture …………. Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31 (NKJV)
But what exactly does the glory of God or glorifying God mean? I came across a couple of good definitions in a short paper from The Church of Brook Hills on family worship … they seemed to provide some clarification for me:
God is most glorified when His people value Him above all other things.
God is glorified as His followers are conformed more INto the image of Christ.
From what I can tell in Scripture this is simply one of many aspects of God’s glory … the Merrriam-Webster definition that seems to align with this aspect of glory is something that secures praise or renown (a state of being widely acclaimed or highly honored) … in this case for God.
So all glory belongs to God … when, in the midst of pride, we attempt to take His glory for ourselves we sin.
I now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up in my flesh what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ, for the sake of His body, which is the church, of which I became a minister according to the stewardship from God which was given to me for you, to fulfill the word of God, the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations, but now has been revealed to His saints.To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: WHICH IS CHRIST IN YOU, THE HOPE OF GLORY. Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect IN Christ Jesus. To this end I also labor, striving according to His working which works IN me mightily. Colossians 1:24-29 (NKJV)
Paul reveals a number of spiritual nuggets is the above bolded verses:
To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: WHICH IS CHRIST IN YOU, THE HOPE OF GLORY.
Let’s see what we have in the above:
- This mystery of Christ IN you was revealed to the New Testament saints (The apostles John and Paul seem to touch on it the most).
- Why did He reveal it? Because God willed it … according to God’s will.
- The hope of glory … perhaps it should be expanded to say the hope of God’s glory.
- Christ IN you – man, in his own strength, would find it impossible to value God above all others, to be conformed to the image of Christ, and to secure praise and renown for God. But with the abiding presence of Christ IN you and IN me … suddenly the impossible becomes the possible … and God is glorified!
- WOW! WOW! WOW!
Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect IN Christ Jesus.
Paul’s mission …
- To preach Christ Jesus IN you
- To warn every man and teach every man in all wisdom … the depths of which are found IN God (Romans 11:33, 1 Corinthians 2:10, 1 Corinthians 1:30)
- Why? That every man may be presented perfect IN Christ Jesus … the mystery becomes the plan of action
To this end I also labor, striving according to His working which works IN me mightily.
Note how Paul labors to that end …
- Striving according to the working of God … Father, Son and Spirit
- And that working of God … works IN Paul mightily!
Paul once emphasizes that he does not strive according to his direction or his strength … but according to the will of God and the power of God working IN and THRU him.
Praise God for this great mystery!