Earlier this week I shared that we had begun a new message series at 12 Stone titled ‘I Need A Breakthru’. The first message was grounded in Philippians 3:10-17.
Pastor Kevin closed the message with the question, ‘Where do you need a breakthrough?’ This is a question I have been wrestling with for the past four days. The message guide had space for three breakthrough areas but I went for six.
Some would say, ‘You have been diagnosed with incurable/inoperable cancer. Why would you be doing much more than marking items off your bucket list and counting the days?’
Over the past seventeen months since my surgery and cancer diagnosis I have experienced many breakthroughs at the hand of God. Cancer is not an end to life … not the life that matters. In fact, over these many months I have experienced so much more growth and intimacy IN Christ Jesus than in the rest of my life. A man of faith is being forged by God in the fires, trial and tribulations of life and all I can ask for is … more Lord, please more!
So my list of desired break-through areas …
- As a husband in our marriage of 31 years – sometimes its too easy for me to get comfortable in accomplishments (such as being married for 30 years) and forget the stress that a battle with cancer places not only me but on my wife as well. Lord, I want a breakthrough in being a loving husband to the wife you have blessed me with.
- An intimate knowledge of the Scriptures – have started a two track reading plan that will take a little over 3 years … yes I am hopeful … Lord may your Spirit teach me
- Drawing closer and more intimate with Christ Jesus – a constant part of the growth and maturing IN Christ – prune me, grow me, sanctify me, abide in me Lord!
- Spiritual leadership of self and family – one of my three greatest weaknesses Lord – it is changing but needs more of You – have your will and your way in my life!
- Boldness in speaking the word of God and sharing my faith -one of my three greatest weaknesses Lord – there are those you have placed in my life that need hear the Gospel – have your will and your way in my life!
- Passion and persistence in prayer life -one of my three greatest weaknesses Lord – have your will and your way in my life!
Prayers, wise advice and encouragement appreciated my friends!